- Connecticut businesses can receive upfront incentive as well as performance-based payments for installing a battery storage system
- Program aims to improve the resiliency and reliability of the state’s electric distribution system
- Incentives can cover up to half the cost of a new system
Summary by Dirk Langeveld
Connecticut businesses can now take advantage of a battery storage incentive program, which helps cover the cost of installing systems and offers performance-based payments through 2030.
Energy Storage Solutions, which was launched by the Connecticut Public Regulatory Authority and will be administered by the Connecticut Green Bank, is available to all residential, commercial, and industrial customers of Eversource and United Illuminating. The goal of the program is to improve the resiliency and reliability of the state’s electric distribution system during critical periods, such as outages caused by severe weather.
- Small commercial customers can receive an effective upfront incentive of $200 per kilowatt-hour for the first 50 megawatts of storage capacity, while medium commercial customers can receive $175 per kilowatt-hour and large commercial customers $100 per kilowatt-hour; the incentive can cover up to half the project’s cost
- Performance-based incentive payments are made based on the average power the system contributes to the grid during critical periods; for commercial customers, this is capped at $225/kilowatt for first five years and $130/kw for years six through 10
- Additional incentives are available for certain participants, including small businesses and customers who historically experience frequent and long-duration outages during storms
- Benefits of a battery storage system include better peak demand management, maintaining operations during disruptions, and clean and quiet operation
- The program encourages businesses with existing fossil fuel generators to consider a battery system tied to a new or existing solar photovoltaic system as an alternative
- Customers can get more information on this program by filling out a form here