- Program looking to promote and support new business creation in Connecticut returning next year
- My Business Jump Start will run from Jan. 10 to March 15
- Those who successfully complete the program’s exam can compete for a $10,000 award
Summary by Dirk Langeveld
My Business Jump Start, a program looking to promote and support new business creation in Connecticut, will return for a new season next month.
The program is produced by the Community Economic Development Fund in collaboration with My Own Business Institute. Registration begins on Jan. 10, with the program extending through March 15.
My Business Jump Start includes online readings on the essentials of starting and tending a business, which can be completed at the participant’s own pace. There is also a six-part weekly webinar series, running from Feb. 2 to March 9, focusing on the topics of deciding on a business, creating a business plan, business organization, business insurance, accounting and cash flow, and e-commerce.
- Applicants who successfully complete the final exam with a score of 80 percent or higher earn a certificate from CEDF and the My Own Business Institute
- Successful completion of the exam also allows participants to take part in a three-minute pitch competition to seek a $10,000 Business Encouragement Award from Citizens Bank
- Pitch competition entries are due March 22, with finalists announced March 31; pitch finals take place April 8, with small business experts at Citizens Bank choosing the winner
- Participants also receive free ongoing assistance after the program through Jump Start Mentoring resources